Athena artists are exhibiting a winter/spring self-juried show at the Walter E. Terhune Gallery on the campus of Owens Community College in Perrysburg, Ohio. It will run from January 23 to March 31. Sixteen of the participating women are represented above in the banner and below in the gallery.
The Walter E. Terhune Gallery is named on behalf of the Walter E. Terhune Memorial Fund, established by his daughter to honor her businessman and philanthropist father. He was the owner and officer of Clark and Terhune Lumber Merchants, a successful lumber company in the 1800s. A donation to the Owens Community College Foundation in 2003 from the fund helped establish the gallery.
The 1,300 square-foot gallery is part of the Center for Fine and Performing Arts at Owens. It is committed to exhibiting diverse, vibrant visual arts created by faculty, students, and community members, and to embedding arts programming within the curriculum. Exhibits at the Gallery have spanned a wide range of media and styles, from traditional art to interactive, multi-media installations.
Owens Community College is a comprehensive community college established in 1965 to provide educational opportunities and training to the residents of local communities. Its mission is to foster student and community success by providing high-quality and affordable education that leads to rewarding careers, personal growth, and regional economic strength.They offer over 70 academic programs and certificates to students who are preparing for a career, retraining for a new career, seeking professional development, or obtaining credits to transfer to a four-year college or university, including some still in high school. With an average class size of 14 students, students receive the personal attention they need to succeed from a dedicated and experienced faculty who bring their industry knowledge, information, and ideas into the classroom. Outside of the classroom, a robust campus life exists through student activities, clubs, organizations, athletics, and volunteer activities.
Owens Community College is named after Michael J. Owens, a Toledo inventor who changed the glass industry forever by mechanizing bottle-blowing in 1903. The son of a coal miner, he began his career as a glassmaker at the age of 10, stoking glass furnaces in Wheeling, West Virginia. Nearly twenty years later, in 1888, he came to Toledo, Ohio to work for Libbey as a skilled glassblower. His Owens Bottle Machine introduced automation to glassmaking, in the process eliminating child labor and revolutionizing the glass industry, which had changed little in 2,000 years. His work made it possible for thousands of jobs to be created and changed the community forever. He is the “Owens” in Owens-Illinois, Owens Corning, and Libbey-Owens-Ford, the three glass corporations that helped give Toledo the reputation of being called the “Glass City.”
Owens Community College began as a technical institute under the Ohio Department of Education’s jurisdiction. The first classes were offered in Toledo, Ohio in 1965 with less than 200 students. Two years later the College was chartered by the Ohio Board of Regents as a technical college. In 1983, the College opened a campus in Findlay, Ohio. Owens was chartered as a comprehensive state community college in 1994 with a district encompassing 3 local counties, and parts of 2 more.